(AHMED)—A suspect in the shooting of Missouri running back Ahmad Hardy has been caught in Paducah, Kentucky. Rashodrick Harris is being extradited to Mississippi to face two charges of aggravated assault. Authorities say additional charges might be added.
Three people taken into custody at the shooting site have been released.
Hardy has moved to a Columbia hospital after surgery in Mississippi on leg wound. He already has started physical therapy and could be released from the hospital this week. Coach Drinkwitz says Hardy’s status for the 2026 remains uncertain.
(MIZZPORT)—South Dakota guard Jordan Crawford is the fifth, and likely last, portal player to join the Missouri Tigers for next season. He’s 6-3, spent two years at College of Charleston then a year at Eastern Kentucky and was at South Dakota for the last season. He’s listed as a redshirt senior. He averaged 14.4 pointa game for the Coyotes last year and shot 37% from three.
Three Tigers last year are still without a new home court for the next season: Sebastian Mack, Jacob Crews, and Jevon Porter. Porter and Crews need hardship permits that will let them play.
(BILLSPORT)—The St. Louis University Billikens have restocked after losing most of their team that finished with the best record in school history. Several players have stayed and they’ll be joined by 6-7 guard Yousaf Ahmad, who comes south from Canada. Others players coming to St. Louis through the portal are Alon Michaeli, moving east from Colorado, and Elijah Stron, who’s moving west from South Carolina.
The Billikens lost Bobby Availa, their big mane in the middle. They’re hoping 6-11 freshman Sheek Pearson can step in. He was red shirted with Marquette last year.
They’re also picked up home town guy Jamison White, a 6=7 high school recruit from Vashon High in St. Louis.
Baseball:
(ROYALS/CARDINALS)—The Kansas City Royals broke their six-game losing streak Sunday against the Cardinals
The Royals are struggling with several injuries, perhaps the biggest one is starting pitcher Cole Ragans, who was put on the 15-day disabled list with a left elbow problem May 8. His return is uncertain although Kansas City Star reporter Jaylon Thompson says Ragans threw thirty pitches in the bullpen Sunday and felt good. But the teams is still deciding its next steps in his return.
Stephen Kolek shut down the Cardinal Sunday to end the Royals’ six-game streak. The Cardinals’s Masyn Wynn left the game in the seventh inning. He’s listed as day-to-day after tweaking his knee running to first base to avoid a double play.
The Royals have lost seven of their last ten games and have fallen out of a challenging position in their division. In fact, at 29-27, they’re last. Only two teams have fewer wins.
The Cardinals are eight games over .500 and only a game and a half behind the Cubs.
Football:
(BATTLEHAWKS)—The clock ran out on the St. Louis Battlehawks with the ‘Hawks two years away from tying the score against the Houston Gamblers. The 23-16 loss is the first home loss for St. Louis since the third game of last year and keeps them from locking up a playoff spot.
There are two games left in the UFL season before the top four teams go into a playoff. The Battlehawks are tied with the DC Defenders for second place in the league at 5-3. Orlando leads at 6-2.
The teams will face each other again on Thursday night in Houston.
The Big Motorsports Weekend:
Indianapolis 500 plus 600 miles and Charlotte and F1 in the picturesque streets of Monte Carlo.
(INDIANAPOLIS)—Alex Palou will start next Sunday’s Indianapolis 500 in the same place that he finished last year’s race—first. But the starting field behind him is less settled than it appeared to be Sunday.
Palou finished a tense Sunday with a run of 232.248 to win his second pole at the 500. He was the only driver to top 232 mph in the last round of qualifying, edging another former winner, Alexander Rossi, by .1726 of a second for the four-lap run. David Malukis, in his first 500 as member of the team owned by Speedway owner Roger Penske, starts from the outside of row one.
Felix Rosenqvist, who had led the qualifiers through the earlier rounds, was disappointed by his final run, which will start him fourth.
Then things changed.
The 33-car lineup for the race start was changed hours after the Palou’s qualifying run when post-qualifying inspections found unauthorized modifications to the cars of rookie Caio Collet and Jack Harvey.
Collet, who had qualified tenth and Harvey, who would have started 20th, have been sent to the back of the field to 32nd and 33rd place for the start of the race.
A three-car crash yesterday as drivers adjusted their cars for racing trim destroyed one car and badly damaged another.
Rossi spun on the second turn and demolished the car he had qualified for the second starting position. He was taken to a hospital a short distance from the track but he was reported to be awake and in “good spirits” when removed from his wrecked car. Pato O’Ward, who was following Rossi, spun into Rossi’s car and badly damaged the car he had qualified for sixth starting position. A third driver, Romain Grosjean, scheduled to start 24th, also spun trying to avoid the other two.
Multiple Contenders Crash in Indy 500 Practice
Two-time winners Josef Newgarden (who will start a disappointing 23rd) and Takuma Sato (starting 12th) had the top laps during the practice session that was shortened because of the crsh and because of rain.
Rossi, O’Ward, and Grosjean will have a chance to get their cars into racing trim one more time. The last practice before the race will be Friday.
(NASCAR)—Denny Hamlin won NASCAR’s annual all-start race, a non-points contest that means one-million dollars to him and his crew.
He and the other Cup driver will run NASCR’s longest race Sunday evening, 400 laps, 600 miles on the Charlotte oval.
One member of the starting field will be Katherine Legge, the only woman driving in the Cup series this year, although she’s a part-time entrant. She will start 26 in the Indianapolis 500 that afternoon and fly to Charlotte for the race that night. She’ll be the first woman to try “the double.” She will be the sixth driver to try to run 1100 miles on Memorial Day Sunday. Tony Stewart is the only driver to finish both races on the same day—in 2001 when he was sixth at Indianapolis and third at Charlotte. Other drivers who’ve tried are John Andretti, Robby Gordon (who tried five times), Kurt Busch, and Kyle Larson.
(FORMULA 1)—Formula One’s race will be through the glamorous streets of Monte Carlo on the same general circuit as the one used in 1929 for the first race.
(Photo credit: Palou—IMS)
